Car Insurance Explained | What You Need To Know (With Insurance Expert)
I’m Insurance Expert, here to talk to you about the glamorous world of car insurance. OK, I totally get you could probably think of 100 other ways to spend an afternoon than shopping for car insurance. But it’s an essential job for anyone that owns a car. There are three main types of cover for car insurance in the UK: third party, third party fire, and theft, and comprehensive. In this video, I’ll give you a rundown of what each cover includes, a quick lesson on access, and some extra cover options that might suit your specific driving style.
Third-party cover is the minimum legal requirement for drivers in the UK. If you gotsta car, you gotta have it. Unsurprisingly, then, the third party is the most basic form of cover. If you were to get into an accident, this type of cover will protect you against injuries to others, both in your car and other vehicles, as well as any legal claims made against you. However, it will only protect you against damages to someone else’s car or property, not your own. A popular choice among first-time drivers and those on a budget, be aware that third-party cover also doesn’t protect you if your car is stolen or destroyed by fire. Which would be an absolute nightmare of a day!
Third-party, fire, and theft are the second tier of car insurance. It works much like the third-party cover but, you guessed it, also includes cover for stolen vehicles and fire damage. However, it still doesn’t cover you for damages to your own car, if you were to get injured or if your car is written off entirely. So, if you were to get into an accident, you could still end up forking out a lot of money to cover your own costs.
When it comes to comprehensive cover, kudos to the marketing department for thinking of a dynamic, cutting-edge name for this top tier of car insurance. Not all heroes wear capes, but some should have given the naming round-table just a couple more minutes! To be fair, the comprehensive cover does what it says on the tin, covering you against fire and theft, personal injuries and injuries to people in your car and other vehicles, damages to both your car, other vehicles, and property, plus the cost of any legal claims. With comprehensive cover, you can get in as many accidents as you want.KIDDING!
As well as the “big three” you may also have heard of pay as you go and temporary car insurance. And while they sound similar they are actually quite different forms of cover. Pay as you go is strictly usage-based, so you only pay for the miles you drive. This type of cover is ideal for people who regularly use their car but only for low-mileage journeys, such as the school run or trips to the supermarket. Despite the name, pay-as-you-go insurance still protects your car even when you’re not driving it. It is just that the cost of your premiums is calculated based on your mileage. This can be done in one of three ways: 1. By tracking your miles. This usually involves fitting your car with a small device, similar to a black box, that tracks your distance. 2. By hourly rate. Again, use a device to track your hours spent in the car. The downsides to this method include having to pay extra for getting stuck in traffic and incidentally incentivizing people to drive faster. 3. The final method is to estimate your miles. This is ideal for people who regularly drive the same journey and know the exact distances. Otherwise, you could get stung if you overestimate your miles as many insurers won’t offer refunds for unused miles. Temporary cover, then, is purely time-based. It allows you to instantly insure a car from one hour to 30 days at pop and usually acts as a top-up to a pre-existing permanent policy. For example, you have a car that you pay a yearly premium on. But if your brother comes to stay for the week, you would add seven days’ worth of temporary cover so he’s also insured during his visit. Temporary car insurance doesn’t take usage into account, so whether your brother uses the car once, 17 times, or not at all, you still pay the same amount. The type of cover you will need will depend on how much control you want over your premiums, how often and how far you drive, and whether you’re the sole driver of the car. For more information on whether you need temporary or pay as you go insurance head to– the link to our comparison page is in the description below.

3. Yummy Ship Shaders